MATERIALS FOR EDUCATORS
Both Sweet Adelines International and the Barbershop Harmony Society have cultivated long and healthy working relationships with MENC. In 1971, MENC approved the inclusion of a barbershop quartet category in school music contests and endorsed these organizations' involvement in school music programs. In 1991, these organizations reaffirmed their commitment to mutual efforts in music education. These relationships also extend to the various state music education associations -- in our area, the OMEA, KMEA and IMEA have ties to BHS and SAI.
Sweet Adelines and the BHS have developed youth outreach programs and barbershop arrangements for young voices to help educators introduce barbershop to a new generation of singers. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a Young Women In Harmony education packet or email@example.com for materials for young men. The materials are complimentary and include sheet music, four-part learning CDs and basic information about barbershop.
Why Promote Barbershop with Your Students?
Singing barbershop-style harmony:
• Improves ear training for accurate tuning
• Develops a strong sense of tonality, resolving around the circle of fifths
• Helps develop sensitivity to chord balancing and choral blend
• Stresses proper diction in execution of word sounds
• Builds interpretative performances reflecting the intentions of the composer/lyricist
• Promotes teamwork
• Develops poise, confidence, and performance skills
• Might attract more young women and men into the school's choral program
• Is a blast!
Harmony Festival Materials for Music Educators
We seek your help in promoting the Harmony Festival among your students. Contact Beth Buzek bethb@HarmonyFestival.org if you would like to receive:
• promotional materials about the Harmony Festival to share with your students (brochures and poster for hanging in your classroom)
• copy of the sheet music and learning CD for the Harmony Festival songs
You will receive copies of a letter which you can send to parents to tell them about the Harmony Festival. You may want to include the Application Form as well.
These items are in printable PDF. The links open in a new window.